Why Riverside Contact Calendar
RUSD
Menus School Locator Employment
u
 
We PERSONALIZE Learning! 
 
At Liberty, we provide students a chance to personalize their learning through the 5 elements of Personalized Learning.  It starts with a conversation between students and teachers to develop learning goals based on our state standards. Students advance based on demonstrated mastery of the standards. They are socially engaged contributors that share their learning with others. To meet the needs of our 21 century learners,  flexible learning environments are provided, along with multiple instructional delivery approaches. From Maker Stations, Agricultural Center,  and Green Screen room, to Coding and Chess Club, Liberty offers something to engage every kind of learner.
 
A little bit of history on Liberty Elementary... 
 
   Arlington pioneers wanted to be separate from Riverside, and in 1875 they did just that. They named themselves Arlington after the English ancestral home of George Washington, and soon had a 1-room schoolhouse which stood on Miller Street. Miss Gill, the teacher, rode her horse from her home in Riverside each day to teach.

   But Arlington grew—and in 1891 they built a second school where Arlington Park is located today. It had 4 rooms, and it was named ‘Magnolia School’. It drew students from the Santa Ana River to Mockingbird Canyon and from Adams Street past where La Sierra is today. There was a barn on the corner of the school grounds where children who rode their horses could shelter them until school was dismissed.

   By 1903 Magnolia School had to have double sessions—morning and afternoon—to house all the children, so more rooms were added.

   When Riverside became a Unified School District in 1907 Magnolia School was added in, and became a part of Riverside Unified. The schools name was changed to Arlington School, and a second story was added, but by then the old school building had seen better days.

   In 1916 the PTA organized a committee to approach the School Board for a new school. As a result the Board purchased 5 acres of ground ---right here—on Hayes Street. About a year later on April 7, 1917 the US entered World War I. The community was soon engrossed in the war effort, but the PTA kept up pressure to build the new school. At the School Board meeting in January, 1918 plans were approved for a new school---12 classrooms, a large basement, and an auditorium—at a total cost of $30,000. It was scheduled to begin in March, and was ready by September for fall classes. (just 7 months to build…) The name Liberty School was suggested by the architect, G Stanley Wilson (who also was the Mission Inn architect), as a memorial to the boys from Arlington who were serving during the war. There were 83 young men—students and instructors—from Arlington---who served in the war. Liberty has existed in this spot for 97 years and is a nod to all the veterans of that day and the days to come.


 
 
 
CLOSE