Martin Luther King High School is located in the city of Riverside, which has a population of 303,871 residents. Riverside is the 11th largest city in California with projected continued growth into the next decade. Riverside Unified School District is the 15th largest district in California, with a student population of nearly 44,000 students. The district includes 30 elementary schools, six middle schools, five comprehensive high schools, two continuation high schools, four alternative schools, one virtual (online) school, and one special education pre-school.
Construction on our new school began in 1998 and was completed in the summer of 1999. The school opened in late August of 1999 with approximately 800 freshman and sophomore students. The school soon grew to over 3,000 students in a couple years and now serves about 3,300 students.
King is considered one of the premier schools in Riverside County and has consistently earned above 800 on their state API scores for the last six years. You can also consistantly find King in Newsweek and WorldNews reports a one of the top high schools in the nation!
• Founded: 1999
• Student Population: 3,300
• Communities: Orangecrest, Woodcrest, Mission Grove
• Mascot: Wolves
• Colors: Navy, Scarlet, and Silver
• Motto: "The Strength of the Pack is the Wolf; The Strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
• Name: Inspired by Civil Rights Leader, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
All Glory laud and honor
We lovingly give to thee
Pledging to our Alma Mater
Lifting our colors skyward
The silver, scarlet and blue
We proudly stand and cheer the Wolves
of King High School
• Advanced Placement and Honors Program
• AVID – Advancement Via Individual Determination
• Game Design - The only high school program in Riverside
• King High Remembers
• Link Crew – Freshman Intervention Program
• NJROTC – Navy Junior Reserve Officer Training Corp
• PLTW - Project Lead the Way – Engineering Program
• SPARK – Students Promoting Academic Recognition at King
• Theater Arts
• Visual Arts
• ROP - Regional Occupational Program
• REEF - Riverside Educational Enrichment Foundation
• Riverside Sports Hall of Fame
Awards and Honors
• Two-Time California Distinguished School (2005, 2009)
• Full six year clear WASC Accreditation
• Newsweek Magazines top 1500 schools in the nation (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012)
• PLTW - Model School of Excellence
• California School Boards Coveted Award
• The Golden Bell Award (King High Remembers)
• Highest API (Academic Performance Index) score in Riverside. (825)
• California State Basketball Champions (2002)
• Six Team C.I.F. Champions: Basketball 2008, 2009; Softball 2002; Girl's Soccer 2010, Girl's Vollyball 2012, Boy's Waterpolo 2012.
• Eleven Individual C.I.F. Champions
• King Band – Rose Bowl Participant (2007), Fiest Bowl (2011)