SACRAMENTO—State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Torlakson today announced that 35 schools were newly designated as Model Continuation High Schools for 2017. These schools are recognized for operating innovative academic programs that help prepare at-risk students for 21st century careers and college.
“I applaud the dedicated administration and staff on their work to assist and motivate at-risk students and help them reach their full potential,” Torlakson said. “The positive and nurturing climate these schools have created inspires students to do well in their academic work and also to contribute to their communities.”
All the schools honored offered innovative, effective programs. For example: Canyon Oaks High School in Monrovia focuses on college readiness and had a high percentage of graduates accepted into four-year universities.
Boyton High School in San Jose has a vigorous restorative justice program that resulted in a 95% student attendance rate.
Richland High School in Orange has developed a technology infrastructure to support its strong Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math curriculum and Career Technical Education classes.
Continuation schools provide a high school diploma program for students ages sixteen-eighteen who have not graduated from high school, are required to attend school, and are at risk of not completing their education.
The schools were selected based on a comprehensive and competitive application process that involved effectiveness, assessments, and use of data. The process included a peer review panel and on-site visit.
The Model Continuation High Schools Recognition Program is a joint project of the California Department of Education (CDE) and the California Continuation Education Association (CCEA). The program honors continuation high schools for the comprehensive services they provide at-risk youth through instructional strategies, flexible scheduling, guidance, and counseling.
More than 55,000 students attended the state’s 452 continuation high schools during the 2015–16 school year.
The 35 schools selected as Model Continuation High Schools retain their designation for three years and will be recognized at the 2017 CCEA State Conference in Fresno on April 28–30. For more information, please visit the CDE Continuation Education Web page or the CCEA Web site.
List of 2017 Model Continuation High Schools
1. Alessandro High School, 831 East Devonshire Avenue, Hemet, CA, 92543-3052, Tara O'Malley, Principal, 951-765-5182
2. Back Bay High School, 390 Monte Vista Avenue, Costa Mesa, CA, 92627-1495, Deborah Lucker-Davis, Principal, 949-515-6900
3. Black Diamond High School, 1131 Stoneman Avenue, Pittsburg, CA, 94565-5466, Brian Wilson, Principal, 925-473-4480
4. Boynton High School, 901 Boynton Avenue, San Jose, CA, 95117-2006, Sarah Thomas, Principal, 408-626-3404
5. Broadway High School, 4825 Speak Lane, San Jose, CA, 95118-3769, Giovanni Bui, Principal, 408-535-6285
6. Buena Vista High School, 3717 Michelson Street, Lakewood, CA, 90712-1402, Morrie Kosareff, Principal, 562-602-8090
7. Canyon Oaks High School, 930 Royal Oaks Drive, Monrovia, CA, 91016-3735, Flint Fertig, Principal, 626-471-3000
8. Chana High School, 3775 Richardson Drive, Auburn, CA, 95602-9350, Stan Parker, Principal, 530-885-8401
9. Core Learning Academy at Conley-Caraballo High, 541 Blanche Street, Hayward, CA, 94544-7700, Ramón Camacho, Principal, 510-471-5126
10. Del Valle Continuation High School, 2253 Fifth Street, Livermore, CA, 94550-4549, Darrel Avilla, Principal, 925-606-4709
11. Desert Valley High School, 104 West Magnolia Street, Brawley, CA, 92227-1583, Antonio Munguia, Principal, 760-312-5100
12. Fairvalley High School, 758 West Grondhal, Covina, CA, 91722-2065, Dana Craig, Principal, 626-974-4800
13. Gilbert High School, 1800 West Ball Road, Anaheim, CA, 92804-5516, Jei Garlitos, Principal, 714-999-3738
14. Hillside High School, 1558 West Ninth Street, Upland, CA, 91786-5636, Jerry Adams, Principal, 909-949-8400
15. Imperial Avenue Holbrook High School, 322 North Imperial Avenue, Imperial, CA, 92251-1267, Victor Torres, Principal, 760-355-3207
16. Jereann Bowman High School, 21508 Centre Pointe Parkway, Santa Clarita, CA, 91350-2947, Robin Geissler, Principal, 661-253-4400
17. John R. Wooden High School, 18741 Elkwood Street, Reseda, CA, 91335-1802, Laura Novak, Principal, 818-345-0203
18. Kurt T. Shery High School, 2600 Vine Street, Torrance, CA, 90501-4330, Jamie Jimenez, Principal, 310-533-4440
19. La Vista High School, 909 North State College Boulevard, Fullerton, CA, 92831-3013, Sandi Layana, Principal, 714-447-7821
20. Liberty High School, 351 East J Street, Benicia, CA, 94510-3437, JoAnn Severson, Principal, 707-747-8323
21. Marin Oaks High School, 720 Diablo Avenue, Novato, CA, 94947-4004, Kessa Early, Principal, 415-892-8733
22. Oasis High School, 2311 Sierra Street, Kingsburg, CA, 93631-1457, Ryan Phelan, Principal, 559-897-3880
23. Orangewood High School, 515 Texas Street, Redlands, CA, 92374-3071, Carol Ruhm, Principal, 909-307-5380
24. Owensmouth High School, 6921 Jordan Avenue, Canoga Park, CA, 91303-1997, Jason Camp, Principal, 818-340-7663
25. Pacific Beach Continuation High School, 11950 Los Osos Valley Road, San Luis Obispo, CA, 93405-6861, Andy Marinello, Principal, 805-596-4023
26. Raincross Continuation High School, 6401 Lincoln Avenue, Riverside, CA, 92506-4424, Dennis Deets, Principal, 951-276-7670
27. Rancho del Mar High School, 38 Crest Road West, Rolling Hills, CA, 90274-5058, Rosemary Humphrey, Principal, 310-377-6691
28. Richland High School, 615 North Lemon Street, Orange, CA, 92867-6611, Elsie Briseno-Simonovski, Principal, 714-997-6167
29. Robertson Continuation High School, 4455 Seneca Park Avenue, Fremont, CA, 94538-4028, Salvador Herrera, Principal, 510-657-9155
30. San Andreas High School, 3232 East Pacific Street, Highland, CA, 92346-2499, Edward Hensley, Principal, 909-388-6521
31. Sierra Continuation High School, 11661 Donner Pass Road, Truckee, CA, 96161-4953, Greg Wohlman, Principal, 530-582-2640
32. Travis Education Center, 2775 DeRonde Drive, Fairfield, CA, 94533-9710, Allyson Rude Azevedo, Principal, 707-437-8265
33. Valley High School, 410 North Hidden Trails Road, Escondido, CA, 92027-5333, Dan Barajas, Principal, 760-291-2240
34. Vicente Martinez High School, 614 F Street, Martinez, CA, 94553-3212, Lori O'Connor, Principal, 925-228-9232
35. Village High School, 4645 Bernal Avenue, Pleasanton, CA, 94566-7449, Dana Chavez, Principal, 925-426-4260
The California Department of Education is a state agency led by State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Torlakson. For more information, please visit the California Department of Education Web site or by mobile device. You may also follow Superintendent Torlakson on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube.